LOGAN TIMOTEO DIRTYVERBS PHILLIPS
Logan Phillips works to create new opportunities for the intersection of poetry and wider society.
As a bilingual poet, performer and DJ he tours his art throughout the US, Latin America and beyond. Born to a family of Irish-Slavic descent and raised in the Arizona / Sonora borderlands, Phillips lived in and around Mexico City 2006-2011, where he contributed to organizing and hosting the country's first regular poetry slam series.
Also in 2007 Logan began playing house parties and mezcalería-speakeasies in Cuernavaca as DJ Dirtyverbs.
Phillips co-directs the transdisciplinary performance group Verbo•bala Spoken Video, recipient of a 2012 Artist Project Grant from the Arizona Commission on the Arts for the performance piece Sonoran Strange. Sonoran Strange is also the title of Phillips' first full-length book, forthcoming from Albuquerque's West End Press.
Teaching and facilitating has been an important part of Phillips' artistic practice since 2005, he currently serves as Codirector of Spoken Futures, Inc. whose programs include the Tucson Youth Poetry Slam.
Phillips was recently the only cultural worker recognized as 40 Under 40 by the Tucson Hispanic Chamber of Commerce and the Arizona Daily Star.
Logan Dirtyverbs Phillips
Bilingual poet, performer, DJ and teacher
Selected performance history
- 2014 Sonoran Strange, transdisciplinary theater piece, University of Rostock, Germany
- 2013 Sonoran Strange, transdisciplinary theater piece, National Hispanic Cultural Center, Albuquerque
- 2013 Change Your Mind, Change the World conference with the Dalai Lama, University of Wisconsin
- 2012 Dios de Adrenalina, street theater collaboration, Iberoamerican Theater Festival, Bogotá
- 2012 Featured poet, 8th Festival of New Poetry (all Spanish), New York City, USA
- 2012 Headliner, 5th Encounter of Migrant Poets (all Spanish), San Luis Río Colorado, Mexico
- 2011 Unreal City, performance installation, Phx Fringe Festival, Phoenix Art Museum
- 2010 Border Remixeado, transdisciplinary theater piece, New York University, NYC
- 2010 Rito Juárez, performance art, 1st Binational Encounter of New Art, Ciudad Juárez
- 2008 Border Remixeado, NALAC Leadership Institute, Tucson Museum of Art
- 2008, 2007 Border Remixeado, Poesía.en.Voz.Alta Festival, Casa del Lago, Mexico City
- 2007 Featured poet, TipofyourTongue Festival, Penzance, UK
- 2006 Featured poet, Paris Poetry Slam, Paris, France
- 2002-2005 Competitor, National Poetry Slam, USA
Awards & Commissions
- 2012 40 Under 40 award, Tucson Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Arizona Daily Star
- 2012 Sonoran Strange, Artist Project Grant, Arizona Commission on the Arts
- 2008 Nobody Speaks, transdisciplinary theater commission, 28th Annual Tucson Poetry Festival
Curatorial & Organizational Experience
- 2007-current Co-Artistic Director, Verbo•bala Spoken Video transdisciplinary performance group
- 2010-current Codirector, Spoken Futures, Inc., Tucson Youth Poetry Slam. Art & social justice education.
- 2011 Lead Co-Organizer, Arizona Between Nosotros Mexican performance art & video festival, Arizona.
- 2007-2008 Host and co-organizer, CuernaSlam de Poesía, Roma Slam de Poesía, Cuernavaca / Mexico City
- 2004-2005 Host and co-organizer, Flagstaff Poetry Slam
Education & Training
- 2014, 2009 Conference participant, Hemispheric Encuentro of Performance & Politics, Hosted by New York University. Bogotá / Montreal
- 2013, 2010 La Pocha Nostra International Performance Workshop, Tucson / Oaxaca, Mexico
- 2012 Inaugural Arts & Culture Fellow, Rockwood Leadership Institute, California
- 2011 Cohort member, CultureStr/ke Delegation, NYC / Tucson
- 2005 B.A. Cum Laude, Spanish with English minor, Northern Arizona University
Teaching & Facilitation
- 2012-present Teaching Artist, Poetry Out Loud, National Endowment for the Arts / University of Arizona Poetry Center
- 2007-current Bilingual performance poetry workshop leader at over 65 K-12 schools and universities across the United States as well as in Mexico, Canada, Colombia, Germany and the UK.
- 2013 Teaching Artist, Center for Creative Community Engagement, Littleglobe Inc, Santa Fe, NM
- 2013 Arts & Leadership trainer, British Columbia Centre for Excellence in HIV / AIDS, Vancouver
- 2010 Coordinator, Nuestra Voz latino youth leadership initiative, YWCA Tucson Racial Justice Program.
- 2007 Professor of Letters, Universidad Internacional, Cuernavaca, Mexico
- 2006 Elementary School teacher, Escuela Britania, 3rd & 4th grade English, Cuernavaca, Mexico
- 2014 Aspen Writers Foundation, youth poetry slam project, Roaring Fork Valley, CO
- 2010 Movimiento de Arte y Cultura Latinoamericana, National Performance Network, San Jose, CA